Thursday, November 18, 2010

AZ


Growing up in southern California shaped artist Andrea Zittel into a very unique person. Often her family would travel for long periods of time around the country weather it was in their Volkswagen van or sailing boat. Living in close quarters during these trips motivated some of her future work especially her island project, "Pocket Property". This 54-ton floating concrete island was sent out for Zittel to experiment living in. Living on the island she made was no ordinary task. Loneliness overcame here, but she said that it was more of a good feeling because she felt completely self-reliant and free from the outside world. I was interesting to see the artist actually test out the installation art she created. Watching the clip of her work really made me think if I would want to do what she was doing. I felt that it would be cool for the first couple of days, but then for me it would almost feel like i was letting time waste by. It would be hard for me to take myself out of society and I give Zettel a lot of credit for doing this for the sake of her art.

No comments:

Post a Comment